30.7.10

Worship is not just a feel-good session singing praises on a Sunday morning. It is a lifestyle. The true essense of worship is a desire to please God in all that we do, say or think, it permeates our attitudes towards everything, everybody and every event, big and small.

"Worship is the submission of all our nature to God. It is the quickening of conscience by his holiness; the nourishment of mind with his truth; the purifying of imagination by his beauty; the opening of the heart to his love; the surrender of will to his purpose - and all of this gathered up in adoration."

William Temple, Archbishop of Canterbury (1942-44)

2 comments:

Leah (aka Mary_not_Martha) said...

I have never thought of worship and submission in the same moment. I always think of worship as "singing with my heart on the outside" - transparent through my voice. Your post reminded me that other ways I submit are also worship - finances, humility etc. Thanks for the reminder!

MTJ said...

Hi Jane,

One of the facets of Christianity which gives me joy is the freedom to worship God each day of my life. You're right, it's not just the 90 minutes one spends in praise and worship service on Sunday, "It is a lifestyle." -- One chooses submission to Christ over rejecting His authority.

That choice is as integral as breathing air.

Blessings and peace.

MTJ